Battins – Jason Horton
I’ve lived in Havant for 37 years and in West Leigh for the last 14 years. I have been active in Leigh Park, in several groups and understand the area that I live in. As a long term resident and an active member of several community groups I have a good understanding of local issues.
I founded the Havant Community Litter Pickers over a year ago. We regularly clear the green by Sharpe’s Copse, the woods by Havant Academy, Great Copse Woods off High Lawn Way, and Petersfield Road. We’ve also helped clear litter by Hermitage Stream. I am the admin for the Havant and Hayling Island #FreeMyMeal group and regularly provide meals for people who need them.
I have been a regular volunteer at Havant Parkrun at Staunton Country Park and look forward to returning when Covid restrictions are lifted.
- Work to Tackle Antisocial Behaviour in Leigh Park – I will campaign for better community policing and cooperation between the police and the community they serve. We need more officers on patrol and better community policing where the concerns of residents are listened to and acted on.
- Improved Services – New housing puts pressure on services such as GP’s surgeries, dentists, and schools. Improved services create employment in the area. I will work to ensure that Leigh Park is no longer neglected by the council and to promote the area as a great place to live and work.
- Parking – We want to attract people back to the area after Covid. I will work for free public parking for 6 months in the whole borough.
- Affordable Housing and Social Housing – We need affordable housing in Leigh Park. We particularly need social housing. Having a waiting list of a decade or more for a council house does not serve the community at all. Having housing that is sold outside of the wages of residents does not help people who live here. We need genuinely affordable housing to ensure that families are comfortable and suit resident’s needs.
- Improve Measures to Prevent Climate Change – Not only do the green spaces in Leigh Park reduce pollution and give people places to walk and exercise but they make the town an enjoyable place to live. We need more recycling points and better rubbish clearance. I will work to introduce a community skip that will be placed in key locations for a short time each month to encourage people to throw things out rather than fly tip. This will help to protect our green spaces.